The history of Johanniterkeller dates back to the 13th century. At that time, many Swiss monasteries and abbeys owned vineyards on Lake Biel. Situated in front of Twann Church, the building once belonged to the Order of St. John and was secularized by the state of Bern in 1528.
In the mid-19th century, when a new state road was built along the lake, the canton sold the estate to the Hubacher family. Martin Hubacher and his wife, Michaela Gabriel, have been running the Johanniter estate since 1996. Many awards and a lot of media attention confirm what connoisseurs have long known: that Johanniterkeller is one of the best addresses in the region.